top of page


Resilience is all about being able to overcome the unexpected. Sustainability is about survival. The goal of resilience is to thrive. - Jamais Cascio

The field of Family Law is ever changing and has proven to be unpredictable. Unfortunately, the impact that these unexpected events can have can be detrimental to individuals and families alike. From Divorces, to custody, to name and gender updates, Family law actions can get intimidating, but not if you have the right help. Jimenez & Jimenez, LLC. prides itself on helping our clients through these sometimes difficult, and lengthy processes to get our clients desired results.  

There is no reason to go through this process alone. There are people that depend on you, so make the right call so you too can depend on someone to get the results you want. Schedule a free consultation today so you move forward and get your peace of mind back. With offices located conveniently in Florida, Maryland and New Jersey, there is always an available attorney to help you make decisions that will impact you and your family.  


Q: I want to get a divorce, where do I sign, and how fast can this be finished?

A: It is going to depend on the jurisdiction and what type of divorce you are filing for. In some states such as Maryland, there is a one year waiting period for an absolute divorce. In Florida, there is a residency requirement of six months and in New Jersey there is a waiting period of eighteen months. However, there are exceptions to these waiting periods that may apply. 

Q: My spouse is cheating on me, what are my options?

A: When a spouse is cheating or in legal terms, committing adultery, the other spouse may want to know their options. The non-cheating spouse can separate and get temporary support in some cases. In some states, that spouse can file for divorce on the grounds of adultery. In some cases, it can also be taken into account when it comes to alimony support. 

Q: I want to change my child's name, what do I need to do?

A: In most cases to change a child's name, the parent needs to be the one who files the petition and begins the process. One of the most important requirements to be aware of is both parents must consent, and in some cases, the child must agree to said change. 

Q: I want to move to another state but I currently have a custody agreement, what are my options?

A: It is best to seek legal help to avoid breaching any existing custody/timesharing order. However, in cases where the parents are cordial, discussing your request with the other parent will help avoid any future disputes. The next step would be to file for a custody modification.

Q: I want child support, how do I get it?

A: If a parent believes they are entitled to child support, they should seek help filing a petition for child support. There will need to be a showing of need, and a showing that the other parent has the ability to pay. In some jurisdictions there is also a requirement that there is a great difference in the wages of each parent before the court will order support. 

Q: My ex stopped paying child support, what can I do?

A: It can be frustrating when a parent has a court order for child support, or an agreement and suddenly stop paying. In most cases as long as there is a judgement, the parent can file for contempt of the court order. In other cases where there is no judgement, the parent can institute an action for child support so the court may issue a court order. 

Q: I identify with a different gender, how do I get my records updated?

A: It is important to make sure that all records are updated and the easiest way to go about this is to file a petition with the court for a name change. Once the name change takes effect you may be able to complete the necessary paperwork to have the Social Security Administration update your Social Security Card. There are also options to get a new birth certificate issued. Contact our offices for more information. 

Areas of Family Law:

  • Adoptions
  • Alimony
  • Divorces
  • Domestic Violence
  • Child Custody/Timesharing
  • Child Support
  • Enforcement/Contempt
  • Gender Updates
  • Modifications
  • Name Changes & restorations
  • Paternity
  • Pre-nuptial Agreements
  • Post-nuptial Agreements
  • And more...
bottom of page